Monday, August 17, 2009

Stinky Toots!


Yes, you read the title correctly.  Gabe has become aware for the first time of the bodily function of "passing gas" or as he calls it, "dirty poop."  Why "dirty poop" you ask?  We have no idea.

As typical five year-olds are telling fart jokes and giggling uncontrollably at the mere mention of anything potty related, Gabe has remained completely unaware.  We were recently at a church event and waiting in line with other 4 and 5 year olds to enter the sanctuary.  Two little boys began dancing and singing, "I like to toot it, toot it" (to the tune of "I like to Move It" from Madagascar).  I laughed hysterically while Gabe appeared to be oblivious to the entire performance.  (Is it any wonder why I enjoyed teaching middle schoolers?)

I admit to being quite fond of bathroom humor and perhaps that is why I found it so exciting when Gabe cracked his first version of a fart joke a few days ago.  He ran up to his father and made an odd sound with his mouth and then said, "Dirty poop!"  He then smiled and ran off.  Woo-hoo!  How NORMAL!  Yes, I consider this a milestone to be celebrated right up there with learning to jump for the first time and potty training!  How else is my sweet and socially delayed boy going to fit in with other boys his age if he can't appreciate a little potty humor?

Obviously "dirty poop" is an odd expression and not quite accurately descriptive of passing gas and so one of his therapists suggested we teach him to say, "Stinky toots" since he insists now on saying something to announce each occurrence. (Can you imagine having to teach this stuff?  I guess this all comes much more naturally to his typical peers??)  

Gabe has been so excited about a new tepee that he got a few days ago and loves for me to sit inside with him and read books.  This is such a sweet time... both of us cuddled up together in a tightly enclosed space... until I hear a sweet little voice announce, "Stinky toot!"  Time to clear the tepee! 

1 comment: