Monday, February 15, 2010

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

Gabe climbed into my lap this morning, looked right in my eyes and flashed that heart-stopping grin of his and said, "Mommy!" I looked back at him and cheerfully said, "Gabe!" He giggled and repeated, "Mommy" and this turned into an exchange that he found quite comical for some reason.  He continued to giggle and beam up at me as he waited for me to respond each time he said, "Mommy."  This was such a sweet and special moment for so many reasons...  

The precious eye contact that used to seem physically painful for him to endure was now a part of the "game" he created.   

His sweet little voice, which is the most beautiful sound in the world to my ears, called out my NAME!  I am reminded of a time when we thought he might never talk. 

This was not a one-sided interaction as is the case often when trying to engage Gabe.  This was truly a "shared moment" and one that HE initiated.

Moments such as this are common for other parents to experience with their children in their toddler years and even earlier, but I had to wait much longer.  Every milestone we reach is well worth the wait, even though waiting is the hardest part.

The waiting is the hardest part
Every day you get one more yard
You take it on faith, you take it to the heart
The waiting is the hardest part
(Tom Petty)

No comments:

Post a Comment